Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Upper Provo River

So...I know this blog is called Provo River Kayaks even though I mostly talk about the lake. I think it just sounded cooler than Utah Lake Kayaks.

Anyway, I thought I would post a link here that gives some information including average drop and average CFS (cubic feet per second) rates for the upper river. This is a part of the Utah Valley visitors center website (http://www.utahvalley.org/).

Although I can't rent my kayaks for use on this area, it is still a lot of fun to take a raft/kayak/inner tube down. I have taken the first leg of the Provo River from Deer Creek to Vivian and it is a really fun ride in an inner tube.

For those of you curious people, I don't rent my boats for the white water stuff because:
  • It hurts my boats too much when you hit rocks.
  • It is a lot more dangerous. (It is not uncommon to capsize.)
  • This raises liability issues that are less of a concern on flat water.
  • I don't have skirts to keep the spray out. (I ended up stopping three times just to dump the water out of my boat.)
The section of the river right by the lake is much more appropriate for my boats. If you would like to do the upper river contact me and I can give some recommendations. BYU rents white water kayaks as well as a few other companies around.