Thursday, July 22, 2010

Spanish Fork River

So I haven't done much with my kayaks lately, but I have a great excuse...I'm getting married.

OK, now that we have that cleared up, why don't I tell you about a pretty little spot I found last year to kayak. I guess I should have mentioned it sooner. The directions are below, it is the outlet of the Spanish Fork River into Utah Lake from what I can tell. Others call it Sandy Beach, for obvious reasons, although they go there typically more for bonfires and fishing.

The river is much like the Lower Provo, but narrower. The flow of the water is basically nothing, but I did notice a little speed on the way down river. It is dredged too, so there is no need to worry about hitting rocks and things.

My brother and I pushed as far up this river as we could and after a good long ride (sorry, it was last year so I don't remember how long) we still hadn't reached the end of the dredged water. We had a great ride though. Trees line the sides, so you are shaded the whole time, and there is plenty of wildlife especially since you are farther from the city. We saw a couple of beavers on the shore that weren't scared of our boats, and a group of deer ran through the water right in front of us!

The put in location is close to Utah Lake, so if you are interested in that part of the water instead you have your choice. The lake is really shallow here, in fact I have seen fishermen wade probably a quarter mile off shore and still only be up to their waste. I guess this depends on the time of year-I have heard rumor that when the lake is low the whole area is actually sandy, but other times it may be deep. I am not very aware of the effect this has on the waves, so be careful if you are out in it.

The beach north of the road is a fun area for bonfires and other parties. It seems to be mostly HS/College kids there, but I'm fairly sure you could find an area away from it all or not at night if you are with your family.

Directions will be posted separately.